One of the things I have done all through my marathon experience is to listen for things people say, I have created quite a list. Here are a few of them I have actually heard, with where they happened.
1. Volunteer: You’ll have to back out and go to the other parking lot because this one is full.
Runner in car: Where is the other parking lot?
Volunteer: I don’t know.
-Valley of Fire
2. Well, you may have beat me, but at least I don’t feel like I’m going to throw up now.
3. We need to shake the door to this porta-potty and scare the crap out of them.
4. No, I’ll never volunteer again. The runners drip sweat all over you while you’re trying to get the chip off of their shoe.
5. I passed out 100 yards before the finish line. Do you think they’re going to disqualify me?
6. From the bus driver: So do I wait here until you finish?
7. I saw a guy eat a mouthful of Vaseline because he thought it was Gel. Probably caused him some other problems about 8 hours later too.
-Top of Utah
8. No Dorothy, we’re not in San Diego anymore
9. I know what I’m stepping in
-Antelope Island (Buffalo run) 50K
10. The hotel you’re staying at is where the county houses indigent people.
-Valley of Fire
Frank has run 103 marathons and 3 ultras. He considers any exercise that is not running to be a waste of time. His running music of choice is Nightwish, though he is also a huge fan of Cher. Frank currently lives with his wife in West Jordan, Utah.
Race Directors Note: Frank is a good personal friend that I have known for many years. We currently run together on a weekly basis, and I have run several marathons with him. Through these many interactions I have heard many of the stories that we are sharing on this blog, and I thought it was about time for the rest of the world to hear them. So I hope you all enjoy Fridays with Frank.